Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulations require students to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to be eligible for federal aid (grants, loans, and work-study).  Students must meet both the quantitative and qualitative standards (as described in the SAP policy) to receive aid. Students who fail to meet these standards are placed on financial aid suspension and are not eligible to receive federal aid until they are once again meeting the overall SAP policy requirements or submit a successful SAP Appeal (placed on financial aid probation).  

Students who had extenuating circumstances that prevented them from making satisfactory academic progress may submit a SAP Appeal Form to request to have their aid reinstated.

Students who are on financial aid suspension can apply for a non-federal private alternative loan ( These loans are based on credit approval and often require an endorser.