The FAFSA, forms, and tax information required are YEAR SPECIFIC
|Award Year||Terms Included||Complete FAFSA for||Tax Info for Year||Requested Forms For Year|
Fall 2020 - Spring 2021 - Summer 2021
|2020 - 2021||2018||2021|
|2122 year||Fall 2021 - Spring 2022 - Summer 2022||2021 - 2022||2019||2122|
For FAFSA and FAFSA mobile app information and completion: studentaid.gov
Students can begin completing the 2021-2022 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) October 1, 2020. The FAFSA will ask for income data from the 2019 tax year.
** For FSA ID creation/retrieval: fsaid.ed.gov
- An FSA ID is required to sign the online FAFSA.
- Both student and parent must have their own separate FSA ID
To receive maximum consideration for financial aid for 2122, the MSU Financial Aid Office must receive the following on/before April 1, 2021:
- Valid 2122 FAFSA (complete, accurate information, with all required signatures)
- AND any required supporting documentation
We guarantee that if we receive the 2122 FAFSA and all relevant documentation by this date, your student's financial aid will be processed BEFORE classes begin in August 2021.
Notification of FAFSA Process Completion:
Securely transfer tax data using IRS Data Retrieval Tool:
Complete Verification if Selected:
- Please log into your myState account
- Click the Banner tab
- Click the “Mybanner For Students”
- Click the “Eligibility Requirements”
- Select the “Award Year’ NEEDED
Providing Tax Information Options:
You will NOT be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on your FAFSA application if you filed as Married Filing Separately, Head of Household (while married), or amended your tax return.
Steps to provide tax information:
- Go to our Forms link Forms
- Scroll down to select the required year for Income Verification Requirements ONLY
- Click on the link relevant to you for the required year:
- VSI – Dependent Student Income Verification
- VISI – Independent Student Income Verification
- VPI – Parent Income Verification
- VSPI – Spouse Income Verification
- Answer “Yes” or “No” to question “Did you file an XX year tax return?” (ex. 2019)
- Tax filers select “Yes”
|Options||The required year's return will be shown|
|Option 1||Submit a signed copy of the XX year IRS 1040 tax return form and all applicable schedules that were filed with the IRS to MSU Financial Aid.|
|Option 2||Submit an XX year IRS Tax Return Transcript from the IRS to MSU Financial Aid. To order the transcript, go to www.IRS.gov.|
|Option 3||Resubmit your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer your tax information directly from the IRS. To resubmit, go to www.FAFSA.gov.|
If you amended your return, you would ALSO provide a signed copy of your XX year 1040-X Return.
- Non-Tax filers select “No”
- Click the link relevant to you, print out the form and complete it.
- The Non-Tax Filer form may indicate that additional documentation may be needed. If so, choose the appropriate option to provide it with the form.
For other MSU Forms required – ensure that you select the appropriate year: